Monday, September 16, 2013

May 15, 2013, 7am at Jean’s in Fishers, NY

I wondered how much I am willing to sacrifice for the gospel. What are the things that I am not willing to give up for the Savior to follow Him? What am I attached to? What are the sins that I hold onto?


 

I love having my scriptures as well as all the manuals and general conference reports on my iPod. It is a wonderful thing to do a search on there and come up with all sorts of things I'd not be able to lug around to search through.


 

My favourite scripture is D&C 88:45. The earth rolls upon her wings, and the sun giveth his light by day and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars also give their light, as they roll upon their wings in their glory in the midst of the power of God.


 

Well, it's one of them. I love the imagery of that one! I also love D&C 88:40:

"For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence, wisdom receiveth wisdom, truth embraceth truth, virtue loveth virtue, light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own; justice continueth its course and claimeth its own; judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.

"He comprehendeth all things and all things are before Him, and all things are round about him and he is above all things, and in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things; and all things re by him and of hi, even God, forever and ever."

"D&C 88:63 is wonderful, too. There is a scripture like it in the New Testament, too.

"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you, seek me diligently and ye shall find me, ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you.

"64. Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you.

"65. And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation."

And it goes on

"66. Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness—in the wilderness because you cannot see him—my voice, because my voice is Sprit; my spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound.

"67. And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things."

In Matt. 6:22 it says "The light is the body of the eye; if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

"23. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"

I don't like being filled with darkness, of any amount. I do have less of it than I did before, as the light is showing up the darkness and I'm able to repent of it as I find it. I don't suppose I really see much of it. I mean there is more darkness in me than the Lord has opened my eyes to seeing at the moment. Baby steps, thank heavens!

I listen to conference tapes and ponder the teachings of the Law of the Gospel contained therein, but I don't read the scriptures so often. I've heard that conference talks are as scripture, so I focus on them. There are many scriptures that I love. As I read that one above, vs 67, I feel that I should pray that I may be filled with light, that I can see the darkness and root it out of myself through repentance, that I might comprehend all things. It's a tall order, but it would be so good for me to be rid of my pockets of darkness. The light causes so much joy.


 

The Lord's sacrifice for me was so great. I cannot comprehend even the smallest bit of what he suffered for me. When I am not filled with joy, that is painful. Such a minor suffering in comparison. I am so grateful that He has taken my sins upon Him that I may be clean. Repentance is such a wonderful blessing. Weaknesses certainly do make me humble! Some of them do. Others that I haven't worked on don't make me humble at all yet. One day.


 

I can't wait to go back and spend the day learning in the temple again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment