Monday, September 16, 2013

June 27, 2013 9:10 pm Wove on Ankaret’s fence

We are listening to Alida sing at the pub. She's so good. She's got a new guitar. It's an electric acoustic guitar. It's really nice making a good sound.


 

I have had a good day. I couldn't find my teeth this morning, but I wanted to go to Ankaret's to help her weave her willow fence. I walked all the way there without my walker or my sticks. |When my leg/SI joint started to hurt I stood straight for a moment. I was amazed that I walked the whole way without getting too tired or in too much pain to go on! I knew that I could always stop and hitchhike the rest of the way there. But I arrived before I needed to do that!


 

Ankaret had been weaving on the fence already, but had stopped for breakfast when I arrived at 8:35am. We got to work after some strawberries and juice. She's been using three kinds of willow. White and buff peeled and some Mera willow are what she's used so far. Shes left some gaps with crossed willow uprights. She has made some straight weave, some twinning and it was up high enough I could stand up.


 

She uses three willow sticks at a time, adding one after every other upright. I did about six inches or more on the fence, then Linda came with some unpeeled cedar bark. We wove it in the top and the bottom of the open spaces. It was not long enough to go very far. I like it when the cedar bark is peeled apart instead of on the inner bark.


 

I loved weaving on the fence. It was wonderful to be there working with Ankaret. I am so grateful for all she has taught me about weaving baskets with natural materials. She's such an amazing person. She'd asked the fiber arts group to come help her if they wanted to. I was glad I had the ability to get there, even though my car was in the shop.


 

At about 12:30, I was given a ride home and could show off my hothouse tipi garden. It sure is growing fast! I'm so pleased that it is just shooting up with this moist air and the heat. I am glad I also labelled the motherwort cos I could show it to their granddaughter who is learning about edible plants. They showed me Wood sorel. It looks just like clover, but it's not. It's edible and has a nice flavour they said.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment