Monday, September 16, 2013

July 24, 2013 weeding, campfire, Willem

We didn't get up till about 8:30, even though I wanted to get up really early. It had cooled off incredibly. I made an update video and set some of yesterday's videos to upload.


 

Willem had agreed to mow the lawn, so he got to work on that. I had a lot of pain in my back, probably from lugging the boards across the pond and nailing them onto the other dock yesterday while we were swimming.


 

I used my walker and pushed it out and weeded the grass that was in the lovely new daylily flower beside the hostas in bloom in the end stump bench garden of thyme and blueberries.


 

Willem worked on mowing the perennial slope. It's quite a lot of work to mow it. I usually have to stop a few times in the process to recover from the effort. He asked me about where the plants were and such. I was so glad to show him where to mow.


 

I heard our neighbour with his tractor and went over to ask him if he'd agree to grading the new pond entrance. Al phoned from T to say that it was so wet in there that not to let anyone in there to grade it or anything. It's rock hard at the moment, but okay.


 

So they will leave the caterpillar bulldozer there for awhile and then grade it in a couple of weeks when they find it has really dried. He said it was six hours of work so far. That's about $700 before tax. Eeek. But it's so good to have it smoothed out.


 

I sat looking at Doris, the mannequin from the dump, the wire woman. She really needed to be inside the garden bed, not on the outside of it. So I untied her raincoat belt and moved her inside the garden bed so she is inside of the windows and can appear to be looking out. I videoed that and then took the videos when Selene and I found her and put them all together.


 

I went inside to check on the videos from yesterday and to keep uploading the next one. Willem helped me to move the swing over beside the house. After a rest from mowing and a read of harry potter, we had lunch on the porch and went back out to pull the weeds, mostly grass that is in-between the plants flowering long the pathway into the house.


 

Willem worked along the edge and I worked on the other side of that bed in the Perennial slope. I trimmed off the branches of the spruce and of the hop hornbeam and of the elm that were extending so far onto our pathway. I sat on the ground and pulled the grass out. It was great to get rid of so much of it and make the bed look nice. I have to work on the other beds some more, but we did a lot of good work out there.


 

We were ready for a swim and to work on Willem's blind. He wants to be private as he swims so has an idea about how to do this.


 

So we took the roll of fabric down to the pond, along with the roofing nails he bought yesterday on the way to Ottawa. He had to walk around the pond to get the hammer off the dock where I'd worked on it yesterday.


 

He was busy digging a post hole, so I thought I'd build a little campfire. I needed some dead alders, so got some from the edge of the alder berm. I couldn't light the fire because of the wind, no matter what I did. I had brought my saw down yesterday, so took it over to the berm to make a little pathway into the alders.


 

It was easy to cut the well bent alders. There were a few bent and a large bird's nest in them. I wasn't sure what kind of bird had made it. I'll have to look it up in my bird nests book later.


 

Willem had me help him with getting the post into the hole and holding it while he filled it up.

Afterwards, I helped nail the cloth in place as he held it. It was hard to make the top tight and straight. He sure has a long, ugly privacy fence now! But it makes him happy. I will plant willow on both sides of it, paint it and also build a natural fence out of alders.


 

I was able to get the fire going, then go for a swim with Willem. He is very pleased with his privacy fence now.


 

I made a crockpot dinner which wasn't cooked yet, so I moved it to the pressure cooker and videoed making this Indonesian dish with the spices Lily brought over as time she came.


 

He practiced the piano while I worked on my videos. We didn't get to bed till about midnight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment