Monday, September 16, 2013

Friday, June 21, 2013 Sumac Hill hammock

I'm finally in my hammock on Sumac Hill. It's lovely out here. The sun is shining through the whorls of lined up leaves of the sumac trees overhead. They just don't grow like this. What a miracle that they have grown like this and that I can now appreciate them and lie in a hammock tied to them with a screen hanging down above me, keeping me free from the mosquitoes.


 

A pair of swallows, perhaps barn swallows, are swooping across the pond, diving down with their bottom beaks open to have a drink, swoping up to catch another of their 1000 daily allotment.


 

Many birds are singing overhead and in the surrounding trees. The wrens are in the alders. A flycatcher just came to join me here in the sumacs…for only a moment. Others are in the trees which I haven't taken the time to listen to yet.


 

I am invisible to the birds here in this little screened hammock tent. I am so glad I brought it down the other day as one of the many things on my to do list.


 

I just got this white sloth strap from the Jopi Tipi to use to hold up the screen overhead.


 

There are tall dock plants, at least that's what I think they are. They are quite tall with lots of seeds on them. I have my shovel down here from working at transplanting the evening primrose the other day. They didn't wilt, in spite of the sunshine yesterday and the day before.


 

I checked on the tamarack tree babies and the forsythia sticks I pushed into the ground around Sedge Meadow tipi a few months ago. Some have leaves on them! Two of them, I think. I took photos of them. Several of the tamaracks have put on a few inches of new growth at the top! How exciting! It won't be long before the tipi is hidden from view from the road! Yippee!


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment